Latine (or Latinx) Heritage Month takes place on September 15 to October 15
WMPG will be paying tribute to the generations of Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced and enriched our community throughout our programming.
Audio features throughout our programming
- Saturdays 10.00am – Rosita’s Latinos
- Sunday – 11.30am Pablo Cebollon – A La Vista/Sergio Cahueque – Our Latin Thing
- Wednesday, Sept 20th at 7.30am, USM-er, Michelle Vazquez Jacobus and graduate student, Maria Fernanda Dominguez Lynch (Office of Multicultural Student Affairs) will be on-air telling stories and playing music. The Morning Beat with Annella
- Wednesday, Sept 20th at 1pm – Juke, Jive and Jazz – Dave Wade celebrates the birthday of the great drummer El Chico, Chico Hamilton, on Juke Jive N’ Jazz,
- Sunday, Sept 24 Release the Bats – Spooky tunes from Latin America with Sebastion/The Phoenix
- Sept 24th – Sunday Simcha with Barbara (6.30am) – playing Jewish music from Argentina
- Wednesday Sept 27th – Soul/Funk and Garage from Latin America – The Morning Beat with Annella
- October 2nd – Showtunes – host – Bill Audette – 5.00am – Latine/Latinx show tunes. Music from Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Josefina Scaglione, Karen Olivo, Dezi Anaz, Robin de Jesus, Mandy Gonzalez, Eliseo Roman, Priscilla Lopez and Ana Villafane. Between 4 and 4:30 am, Bill will be spotlighting six of the songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda’s 2008 Broadway musical, In The Heights. Between 4:30 am and about 6 am, I will be playing the entire soundtrack to the original, 2015 Broadway musical, On Your Toes, which tells the musical story of Gloria and Emilio Estefan – the stars of the band, The Miami Sound Machine. From about 6 am to 6:30 am, I’ll be focused on songs taken from the soundtracks of the film version and the Broadway version of West Side Story.
- October 7th – Jazz at the Movies presents Buena Vista Social Club at The Portland Conservatory of Music,.
- Monday, Oct 9th – Lagniappe – Eydie will focus on Latin music elements/influences in New Orleans
more to be updated.
Thank you to our friends at UNUM for sponsoring Hispanic Heritage Month.